Tuesday, November 26, 2013

The Thankful Tree!

Seeing as Thanksgiving is at the end of this week, I thought it would be fun to do an activity about being thankful. I got out my supplies and got to work. Here's how it all went down.

Items needed:
Constuction Paper (I chose fall colors because of the season)
A large paper bag (I grabbed one on my way out of the grocery store)
Scissors
Writing Utensels (crayons, pens, dark pencils, etc.)
Clear Tape (such as scotch tape, or masking tape would also work)



Large paper bag from the grocery store.
     I cut off the very bottom of the bag, and then along one of the side seams. Then I cut "branches". I don't think that there is a right or wrong way to cut the branches.

I taped the tree to the refridgerator.
  I cut out the leaves ahead of time so that I didn't have to deal with kids and scissors.
Here are Mia and her cousins. I'm getting the tape ready, and they are waiting to put more leaves on the tree.

We're just about done! I can't get them the tape fast enough....

     I think that this activity worked really well. Brooklyn (almost 5) was able to write some of her "thankful" words by herself, but the grownups had to help the littlest kids (2 and 20 months) . The only problem that I had was not being able to get little rolls of tape ready as quickly as the kids wanted. They were very good at waiting for their turns though.

Here is a list of some of the things we were thankful for:
Fishies (gold fish crackers)
House
Clos (This is how Brooklyn spelled Clothes)
Family
Mommies and Daddies
Bed
Love
Forgiveness
Church
Scriptures
Sun
Heat
Animals
Toys
etc.


Have you tried something similar? How did it go? What suggestions or ideas do you have?


No comments:

Post a Comment